Tuesday 30 August 2016

Michael Kiwanuka - Black Man In A White World (Single Review)

Now I have been meaning to review this track for quite a while, because it happens to be one of my favourite songs to come out of 2016. As a music journalist; sometimes it's nice to listen to new music out of your comfort zone that you don't have to review - and that is how I bumped into Michael Kiwanuka. I literally don't understand how I have not heard a huge hit of his come on to the radio or on the TV - but then again, I guess the song title speaks for itself, doesn't it? Michael Kiwanuka came about in 2011 when he supported Adele on her '21' tour, and then he supported her again at her iTunes gig. Kiwanuka also won BBC's sound of 2012 poll, which must have been a big achievement for him. Ever since then, he has sort of stayed quiet - and then I bumped into THIS.

Michael Kiwanuka is a Ugandan refugee who was brought up in London, and he is a solo soul singer-songwriter. I think I bumped into Kiwanuka on spotifys acoustic sessions and I was like what the fuck is this holy grail of a track, and then I saved it. The chorus caught my attention immediately; it is a repeat of the song title. The track bursts with soul, passion, and acceptance. He accepts the fact that no matter what he does, he will probably be wrong because he is a black man in a white world. This doesn't deter the fact that he shouldn't feel like he should have to accept that as he goes on to state;

"I'm in love but I'm still sad, I found peace but I'm not glad."

He's found peace within himself and accepted the fact that perhaps things will never change, but it isn't enough - he wants to find peace within the world, not just within himself. He also says how; 

"I don't mind who I am (im a black man in a white world), I don't mind who you are (im a black man in a white world)"

His voice reminds me very much of the likes of Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye, however his lyrics are much more deeper and focused. Racial discrimination is the obvious main focus within this track, and it is good to see that someone is still trying to sing about it, because you don't hear about it very often in songs anymore - however it still goes on.

A conclusion isn't very necessary within this review as it is short and sweet; however I will still write one... Michael Kiwanuka reveals the passion and pure soul within this track about racial discrimination and how he's not angry and he's not mad even though he's lost everything due to being falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit; due to being of a different ethnicity. He captures the essence of soul like you are back in the 60's and 70's with influences of iconic artists such as Marvin Gaye, Otis Reading, Curtis Mayfield and Bill Withers within his voice. He is Britain's very own Leon Bridges! It's good to see that soul is coming back and expanding on to the modern day music scene! Please give him a listen, he's bloody brilliant! Here is the link to the track, I can't fault it.



10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment