Sunday 6 September 2015

Bring Me The Horizon - True Friends (Single Review)

Bring Me The Horizon or 'BMTH' are a five-piece Metalcore band from Sheffield. The male five-piece formed in 2003 and are currently formatting a new album called 'That's the Spirit' which will be released on the 11th of September. I know that BMTH are a little bit different to what I usually review, but I just thought that I would mix things up a little bit! Their most recent single release is called 'True Friends' and it got released on Youtube on the 25th of August. They have teased fans by releasing three other singles before their album finally gets released too, and they are called 'Happy Song', 'Drown' and 'Throne'. The five-piece consists of; Oliver Sykes on lead vocals, Lee Malia on lead guitar, Matt Kean on bass, Jordan Fish on the keyboards and Matt Nicholls on the drums. 

Bring Me The Horizon have been known to tone things down recently since their 2013 'Sempiternal' album which is drastically different from their previous work, due to minimal screaming being exploited and more singing being allowed. Their new songs are more similar to their recent work, than their previous songs. Anyhow, this evening I will be reviewing their most recently released track called 'True Friends'. 

The song introduces itself with a melodic guitar and Sykes' sharp vocals of;

"I wouldn't hold my breath if I was you, I'll forget but I'll never forgive you. Don't you know, don't you know? True friends stab you in the front."

After the chorus introduces the song; the guitar soon turns sour, the drums go heavy, the keyboard goes distinctively sharp and Malia on lead guitar and Kean on bass create ear-bleeding riffs. Then the second verse includes some of Sykes' notorious screaming;

"You got a lot of nerve, but not a lot of spine. You made your bed, when you're worried about mine. THIS ENDS NOW."

I'm glad that they have decided to keep a bit of screaming within their songs rather than getting distracted by just singing pop-punk as I think that they would lose their notoriority by just trying to create a new image for themselves. If you haven't listed to Bring Me The Horizon before; or don't think that they would be your cup of tea, I would definitely recommend that you give them a listen as they will be on your guilty pleasures list in no time! I actually really liked this song and I'm a fan of their work, whether it be pop-punk or metalcore; as I think that they are such versatile artists, they can pull any genre off. Therefore I cannot wait for the release of their new album!


9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment