Sunday 9 August 2015

Blossoms - Blown Rose (EP Review)

Blossoms are a five-piece psychedelic indie rock band from Stockport. The five-piece consists of; Tom Ogden on lead vocals and guitar, Charlie Salt on the bass, Josh Dewhurst on lead guitar, Myles Kellock on the keyboard and Joe Donovan on the drums. Even though somebody had recommended that I reviewed Blossoms' new EP, their name has been spreading like wildfire; much like Temples. I've been meaning to review some of their work for a while now, so I am glad that they had released their new four-track EP called 'Blown Rose', which was recently released on the 31st of July 2015. The four tracks that create this EP are called; 'Blown Rose', 'Madeleine', 'Smoke' and 'Stormy'.

The opening song of the extended play has the same title as the EP interestingly enough, therefore this tells me that they are going to give you a taste of what they're capable of. This track has an overwhelmingly powerful beginning, with no build up - just straight in, full throttle. After the strong beginning, the vocals shortly accompanied the instrumental within a few seconds. Kellock on the keyboards and Donovan on the drums particularly stood out for me within this song as they mainly dominated the track. Once the vocals commenced, they created a compilation which sounded similar to Peace and the Arctic Monkeys. However you can also hear some inspiration of The Doors within this track. This song has a very soothing melody to it, and the use of backing vocals compliments the band as it adds a slight psychedelic twang to their song; which makes it different. The lyrics that particularly stood out for me was when Ogden cannot figure out as to why his love is unrequited;

"I'm so lost when you say you don't feel it like I do."

After an impressive opening song, I was intrigued as to what was yet to come. Their second track on their 4-piece EP is called 'Madeleine'. The introduction sounds slightly psychedelic due to the use of backing vocals again, and the slow keyboard. The melody soon speeded up, which then created a rather groovy beat.

"And I know that when she's gone, she's gone, I know she's gone."

Whilst writing this review,  I am currently failing to resist the urge to sway and dance to this song. My favourite line would have to be the chorus line of;

"Madeleine you don't know what you do, when can I be yours? Madeleine, Madeleine, Madeleine, Madeleine."

However, towards the end of the song - the use of a solo on the electric guitar made the song sound a lot more rock, which I really liked as the song didn't just stick to one genre; it had several different genres within it.

Their third track on the EP is called 'Smoke' which sounds rather eerie and mysterious, so I am intrigued as of what is yet to come. This song didn't enter with a strong instrumental like their previous songs, it gradually built itself up; guitars first, drums second, vocals third and keyboard fourth. Within this track, lead singer Ogden reveals his inner Liam Gallagher using his Mancunian accent to his advantage, and doing that whiney, slow voice that LG and many other artists do. With their contagious chorus, you just simply cannot resist the urge to move!

"I get my fix from you I do, smoke with you."

The final track too cease off the album is called 'Stormy' and if you read my blog frequently you will know how much I love paradox's. This song is the paradox of the EP - and in all honesty, I was not expecting it. A complete contradiction. I love this song because it reminds me of when Alex Turner did a bit of solo work for the Submarine soundtrack. This song was another build-up song too; acoustic guitar first, keyboard second and the vocals followed third.

"There's a stormy love with you, if it's all I do - pieces of you flood me."

I'm not really one for psychedelic music, but I actually really like Blossoms. In one EP they've managed to show how much of a versatile band that they are, which is very difficult. However my favourite track would have to be 'Madeleine' as I just couldn't resist the urge to move, it is such a fantastic song! I did love their little paradox song at the end though, so therefore I am going to give Blossoms' new EP a well-deserved 9/10. Thank you for the suggestion, and I hope to hear more recommendations and suggestions in the future - keep them coming!



 
 
I look forward to hearing some more of their work.
9/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment